Monday, September 28, 2015

Week 49

My new favorite holiday... Mid-autumn Festival!
This last week I had my first Mid-autumn Festival in Taiwan and it was a really awesome time! During the Mid-autumn Festival, Taiwanese people basically get together and barbecue and eat moon cakes. So there were a lot of people outside and a lot of great things that happened! On Friday (the beginning of the festival), we had some contacting planned. As we contacted that night, it was amazing how many people were outside. We met so many people who were willing to meet with missionaries. 

Then on Saturday, I had one of my best days on my mission so far!  We started the day with a ward basketball activity. Do you remember Roland? He came to the basketball activity and he is still doing really well. We are hoping that he can keep progressing. Then we had English proselyting later that day. English proselyting basically includes us passing out fliers and inviting people to attend our free English Class. While we were proselyting, I met a kid who was super willing to meet with us and learn more about our church! His name is Stanley and he said he would come to church next week!

Then as the day went on, we went to a big park in our area. We have been there before and it has been pretty unsuccessful. But since it was the Mid-autumn Festival, there were a lot of people who were at the park. While there, we met a guy playing basketball. I decided I would talk to him. He invited me to play basketball, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to teach him more about the gospel! We just went back and forth shooting hoops, while I talked to him about our church and about Jesus. Apparently his mom is christian, so he was really willing to learn. It turned out that I talked to him for about an hour, just shooting hoops and teaching him a first lesson!  (And any of you who know how good I am at basketball know that he wasn't playing with me because he was impressed with my white man skills.) We set up with him again next week, gave him a Book of Mormon, and invited him to pray. His name is Sam, or 莊祐勝. 

And to end a good Mid-autumn Festival Saturday, we had a ward activity at the church. There I had some of the best food I have had since I got to Taiwan and we played a really fun game show with the whole ward. It was a good day!

In other news, we got a golden new investigator! His name is Jeff and he came into a chapel in Taizhong and told the missionaries there he wanted to learn about the Book of Mormon and Jesus. We met with him and he accepted a baptism goal and came to church yesterday. He has three kids (who actually have come to our English class a lot). It was a great week!

We are being blessed here. Sister Lin has a new baptism goal and she is going to hit it. Our investigators are all doing well and I am doing well.  Oh and pray for me. A super typhoon is coming.


Elder Quist

No comments:

Post a Comment