Thursday, August 13, 2015

Week 42

Weathered The Storm
This week there was an unexpected typhoon. We started off the week not knowing at all that there would be a typhoon, but then people started to tell us that a pretty serious one was going to hit Taiwan. So we just went on doing our normal business because people are always telling us that there are going to be typhoons coming and it's no big deal. But, the weekend came and the winds started to blow. It was not too bad at first, just some strong wind and rain. Then we went to bed on Friday night and the wind blew all night. The rain was really heavy too. It even kept me up at times. We left the house that day and we saw a lot of trees had been split and there was a lot of trash everywhere, but the main part of the storm seemed to be over. However, that was just the eye of the storm. At about 3 o clock that day the storm started to pick up again. The wind got really strong and we had to stay inside. Most places were closed, but we found a local restaurant we could eat at. It was pretty crazy though, because while we were in the restaurant the wind was blowing like crazy outside and tables were flying around. We had to tie our bikes down to some fences so they wouldn't blow away. We then got told we were to return to our houses for the night.

However, the sisters had a baptism that night. It just so happened to be the lady me and Elder McDougal had taught all the lessons to, 柯姐妹, and then later found out she moved to the sisters' area, so they finished meeting with her. But I was supposed to be the one to baptize her, so we still had the baptismal service that night. It was incredible!  Even though there was a typhoon raging outside, all the people who were supposed to come to the baptism came, and it was so peaceful inside the church despite what was happening outside. It turned out to be a good day all in all. 

Then yesterday, on Sunday, we had a miracle new investigator show up to church. We have an investigator named 林 , who counts as an unbaptized child, and he brings his friend to church with him.  However, this week the friend also brought his little brother, so all three of them were at church. I now know why the Lord wanted me to be a primary teacher before I came and served on my mission. I have to sit and make these three 13 year old boys behave in sacrament meeting!  It is a real struggle! I never thought I would teach so many kids on my mission (I am also teaching 3 other kids right now, part of a different part member family). 

Well, I am alive and safe. This next week we have 11 missionaries going home for school, so we will have a "mini" transfer, although I don't think it will be very mini, since President is going to be moving stuff around in preparation for all the new training missionaries who are coming in a few weeks.  I don't think I will move, but I guess we will see next week.

Love you all!
Elder Quist








No comments:

Post a Comment