Monday, March 30, 2015

Week 23

Because He Lives
This week was interesting weather-wise. It was pretty cold and rainy at the beginning of last week, then it got pretty warm this last weekend. But we had a really beautiful weekend. It is really rare to have clear days, because of the pollution, but we had some! The sky actually looks really blue!

We had the awesome opportunity to bike out to a members house a longs ways from the church. We biked out to his house on Tuesday, and we helped him in his rice fields. It was beautiful out in the rice fields.  It's super green and they have a lot of cool plants and palms trees. We helped him plant some watermelon and clear some weeds. That is one of my favorite parts about Taiwan- you can be in a crowded city one moment and the next moment be in the middle of beautiful rice fields.

We also got the chance to go to the Taipei temple last Wednesday. It was a good trip. We had to get up at 5 o clock in the morning and have a member drive us about 30 minutes. After that we traveled by bus about 2 and a half hours to get to the temple. When we were there we got to do sealings and a session. The session was in English. (Thank Goodness!) I also got to see a lot of Taiwan traveling from here to Taipei. I noticed that Taiwan is really green and it has a lot of green mountains covered in mist, kind of like what you see in the movies.

Another cool thing that happened this week happened on Sunday. We had a former come to church, with a couple of our other solid investigators. The former was pretty crazy, he would clap after every talk, and he would say AMEN so loud, but he was a really nice guy. Then afterwards we had the chance to bike out to LongJing, which is about a 30 minute bike ride. There we met a super nice family who are willing to meet with us. The dad really wants his kids to learn more English and get associated with English things. So today he came to the church and we showed him around. He said he is going to bring his kids to English class this week. 

This week I learned something important about my Chinese. There are times when I feel like my Chinese is extremely weak, and I could improve so much. At those times, I pray harder and work harder for the gift of tongues. The time following the diligent praying and studying, results in an amazing improvement in my Chinese, to the point I can see the hand of the Lord and the power of the spirit in my improvement. Then I begin to be more prideful about it, and I begin to lose my skills. I realize that I cannot learn Chinese fast enough on my own, but through the Lord and through the spirit I can improve. It's like my own personal language apostasy pattern.

I am so happy I get the chance to serve here! Thank you all for your emails and I love you!


Elder Quist







No comments:

Post a Comment